Random ramblings

10.08.2005

Tolerance

I have seen two or three articles just today on issues relating to religious tolerance. In the Netherlands, a teacher was banned from wearing a Star of David around his neck because it could be provacative towards the Muslim students at the school. "I can't accept this. It is a small star, 16 millimeters (0.6 inches) that I have around my neck, usually under a T-shirt. I see it as my right to wear it," the teacher said. In the UK, novelty pigs have been banned from a council office in case they offend Muslim staff.

Both of these are absolutely ridiculous. By banning these things, they ("they" being the people imposing the bans) are not being more tolerant, they are limiting people's rights so as not to offend anyone: in other words, they are being much less tolerant. Wearing a Star of David or putting a stuffed pig somewhere is in no way anti-Muslim. Muslims need to just deal with such displays that counter their religious beliefs. Everyone else lives with with things that oppose their beliefs. If it's not ok for non-Muslims to wear a Star of David or a crucifix or something, why can Muslims wear turbans and the like?


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Article of the Day: Idaho Democrats launch anti-abortion group

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home