Random ramblings

9.22.2005

Test anxiety

I was talking to a friend the other day about tests, since he just had his first IEA exam that day. It lead me to think about my upcoming tests, especially the ones next week. Admittedly, I am not prepared for them yet, but I hope to do much better on exams this year than I did last year. One class is based entirely off of test scores, another with 90% exams, and the other two somewhere between 65% and 80% exams. This year I definitely have even more reason to improve my test scores, because if I don't I will get very poor grades in my classes.

I haven't done really well on any of the tests I've had here, and part of that may be because they are harder than tests I used to have in high school (well, that's a given). However, some of the tests I don't do so well on I have no reason not to do well on. I have a tendency of freezing up and forgetting concepts that I know, or make a ton of stupid little mistakes that ultimately lead to my downfall. I am fairly sure this is mostly a confidence thing, although last time I was confident about not only the concepts on the test, but that I did fairly well on the test itself, I ended up failling miserably. That made me pretty unhappy, to say the least, and didn't help the confidence matter at all.

I just did a quick Google search for "test anxiety," and it seems like I already attempt to do a large portion of the methods for dealing with test anxiety. I go to all of my classes and paying attention, keeping up so I don't have to cram. I probably could improve my study habits some, but I'm not really sure how considering the classes I'm taking. It would be easier if it was something with concepts that are easier to apply. That would defeat the purpose of being here, though. I take pretty good notes most of the time that I can go over, I work hard at understanding the assignments I'm given. I try to be confident and optimistic when an exam comes up, and not think self-defeating thoughts. I get a reasonable amount sleep, espcially before tests.

So what is my problem? Where can I get help?


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Word of the Day: Castigate

Article of the Day: Human influenza viruses becoming resistant to class of flu drugs: CDC study by Helen Branswell, Canadian Press

1 Comments:

Blogger scubagirl said...

This is something personal enough that I wouldn't normally post a follow-up, but I feel it might be helpful to someone or other if they happen to stumble across this.

I decided to go to the counseling center here on campus for help. I couldn't think of any other way to get over my test anxiety. It wasn't something I really wanted to do, but I did it anyway because I knew I really needed to do something to help myself get over this test anxiety. The counselor didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but I am going back next week to get some relaxation exercises. It was implied that I might have another appointment after that for something or other, and I'm sure I could keep going back until I felt like I didn't need any more help.

It wasn't bad, and despite not hearing anything that was new news, I felt better afterwards. As a result, I think I did much much better on my exams today than I would have had I not gone to counseling.

8:47 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home