Random ramblings

9.21.2005

Too many words

I have a backlog of words of the day that I will never be able to use, as I add one to the pile pretty much every day. Today I am going to get rid of some of the ones I have collected by linking to the word and giving a general/vague idea of what one of the meanings is so you don't have to look at words whose meanings don't interest you.

Deliquesce- a word having to do with melting
Bacchanalia- drunken festivities
Hirsute- hairy
Demagogue- leader who plays on people's emotions
Farrago- assortment
Tumid- swollen
Xenophobia- fear/hatred of strangers
Busker- street musician
Peccadillo- petty offense
Tyro- novice
Schadenfreude- related to sadism
Peradventure- maybe
Commination- denunciation
Garrulous- wordy
Philomath- scholar
Officious- excessively eager
Expatiate- write at length in detail
Refulgent- bright
Blanidshment- something flattering
Capitulate- surrender
Beholden- obligated
Irascible- easily angered
Afflatus- divine inspiration
Nugatory- insignificant
Somnolent- sleepy
Canorous- musical

Ok, I'm tired of words, and I only cut my number in half so more to come at some other time maybe. I hope all of the links work/go to the appropriate words, because I didn't check.



Article of the Day: Mars has global warming, too ("Mars 'more active than suspected'" from BBC news)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home