Random ramblings

10.12.2005

Debian Upgrade

I upgraded from the stable version to the testing version of Debian today. Should've been done long ago. I was afraid I'd break something and that I'd have to go back to using my Windows XP laptop for everything. I'm actually not as anti-Windows as I used to be; Windows has its purposes/advantages (sometimes). I like Linux enough (despite still not knowing enough about it) that I wouldn't want to go back to full-time Windows use.

In any case, I was getting angry and frustrated that none of my software was being kept up-to-date via apt. Instead of updating the ftp sites for the stable version as soon as the new software versions are released, they wait until it's absolutely clear that the newest version doesn't break anything else. As a result, I was several versions behind the times on just about everything. The ftp sites for testing are kept much more up-to-date, since it's a shorter time between the release of the new software and the decision that it doesn't break anything *enough* vs. release of new software->doesn't break anything at ALL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home