Random ramblings

10.25.2005

Ahhh, class conflicts

The class hour schedules are finally up. I was happily piecing together my schedule last night before going to bed when I discovered that two of my required classes next semster conflict.

I am supposed to have these classes next semester:
Intro to Differential Equations
Models of Computation
Experimental Physics
Humanities elective

Models of Computation and Experimental Phyiscs conflict.

I can't put off Models of Computation, because it is required for the preceeding computer science classes. Experimental Physics can be put off, but that means I'll have Software Design and Documentation, Intro to Quantum Mechanics, and Experimental Physics (lots and lots of labs and lab reports) in the same semster (next spring, Junior year). Assuming that there's nothing I can do about it, I guess I just have to hope that it won't conflict with any other classes next spring. Otherwise... well, I'll be screwed.

I am going to talk to the Dean about a solution to this problem, but in the meanwhile I am just planning on attempting to get a better grounding in math for future physics classes. Advanced Calculus is a class I must take. It is in the curriculum for first semester next year, but I could go ahead and take it this semester to get a head start. However the professor who's teaching next semester is reportedly terrible, so taking it early would not benefit me at all. Or, I could take Intro to Complex Variables, which is not required but sounds very useful. Plus, my current professor for Multivar will be teaching it, and he's pretty good at explaining stuff.

Instead of trying to strengthen my math skills, I could take care of a computer science option by taking both Programming in Java and Programming in Perl, which are each 2-credit courses. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be any other computer science classes that I could take next semester (aside from Computer Algorithms, which is a continuation of DSA) that are actually required for my major because I haven't met the requirements for any of them yet. I think that having Java, Perl, AND Models of Computation would be a bit much for programming classes.

Next comes my humanities class predicament. There are no worthwhile humanities-humanities classes being offered, so I will have to go for another social science. I have narrowed it down to either Drugs, Society, and Behavior (a psychology class that is supposed to be excellent and that I'm planning on taking at some point anyway), and Foundations of American History. Both seem interesting to me. It looks like either one could fit into my schedule.

PSYC-4500 Drugs, Society, and Behavior
"This course is an exploration of the social and psychological effects of extensive use of pharmacological agents that are salient to daily behavior. There is an emphasis on the effects of addictive drugs such as alcohol, heroin, and cocaine."
OR
STSS-2630 Foundations of American History
"Coverage includes the alteration of an Anglo-European culture to an American one; the causes for the colonial break with Britain; the problems of independence; the appearance and impact of American nationalism; Westward expansion and industrialization; and the causes and effects of the sectional clash."

I am sort of leaning towards Drugs... what do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Herb said...

Drugs sounds like a cool one. I've never been much for liking history, so if I had to choose I'd choose drugs, yes.

Myself, next semester am not taking any HSS, but I've still got 3 years left to cover it... good luck with resolving that conflict.

3:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DiffEQ is good, go for the Cheney section on TWF (that's what I'm going to be in :-D). On the Java/Perl, go with Perl, same reason, and it's much cooler. Humanities, go with Drugs, it's a 4000 level H/SS class, which is needed. Also, make sure you get a little sleep.

10:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home