Random ramblings

1.26.2006

FedEx is on my bad side

Two days ago, the computer I built over winter break arrived at the campus mail center, and I went to pick it up. The top of the box had come open, but I didn't think much of it since there were no loose things floating around in the box that could have fallen out. I brought it back to my room and immediately took the computer out to set it up and start using it (and possibly fix a problem that I was having with Debian packages during break). When I put the computer upright, there was a loud "clunk."

I knew that couldn't be good, so I immediately opened the case and saw that the hard drive enclosure had come unscrewed and unlatched, and that the hard drives had also come mostly unscrewed and were rattling around in the case! I was extremely upset, since obviously this was very likely to cause damage to the motherboard. But I was going to put the hard drives back in their appropriate places, and try to turn it on and see what happened, anyway. But as I lifted them up, I realized that many many more things had come unscrewed and fallen out entirely. The network card, the CPU fan, some various cables... etc., etc., were all just clanking around, loose! It's not like I only had them partially screwed in or anything, this was blatant mishandling of the computer. How in the world do the screws come out during shipping?! Oh, and I realized the front of the case was cracked in several places, too.

I filed a damage claim (which was a tedious, frustrating process), and am waiting to hear when they want to pick everything up to "inspect" it (even the packaging was damaged, so I'm not sure what they're looking for). I insured it for its full worth, and am hoping I can get all of that money back. Here's what everything looked like:



















I am quite upset, since I put a lot of time into building it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That is terrible. FedEx definitely needs to give you your insurance claim. Guess the only good thing you get out of this is some cash to build an even better computer. :\

7:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home