Europe trip and such
Been back from my Europe trip for a few days now. I just haven't felt like posting; it seems to me that for some reason I go through apathetic stages with this blog. I feel some obligation to update right now, even though few read this.
The trip was a whirlwind tour of Zürich, Genève, and Paris with my wonderful Army boyfriend (who leaves for Basic soon)! Switzerland and France were a culture shock. Everything is so different: people, buildings, restaurants, and just the culture in general! The Swiss were very friendly and helpful; the French less so. Paris was a beautiful city, but there was just so much to do! We saw the Tour Eiffel, L'Arc de Triomphe, La Museé de Louvre, La Cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris, and shopped on L'Avenue de Champs-Elysses. I wish that I had researched the history of these places beforehand, and that we had had more time to spend each place we visited. We also went skiing at Les Houches near Chamonix (the original plan was to go to Chamonix, but it didn't work out), which was good. Unfortuantely it was warm that day, and was raining at the bottom, which made it a little disappointing. The Alps are beautiful, though, and I have full confidence that had it been colder, the skiing would have been fabulous. I think an entire trip just for skiing will be necessary at some point in the future.
Speaking of skiing, I went to Grand Targhee yesterday, and there was knee-deep powder! Not champagne powder, but it was still absolutely wonderful. I am ashamed to admit that I was having trouble with altitude sickness, which really made me feel terrible because I've been skiing at Targhee my whole life without a problem.
I am also in the process of building the computer I mentioned in a previous post. I am having some problems installing Debian, because for some reason the installer only detects either the [IDE] DVD drive OR the [SATA] hard drive, and both are needed for installation. I intend on posting my solution to the problem when I find one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word of the Day: Billet-doux


2 Comments:
Glad it looks like you had fun in Europe! I'd love to hear all about it sometime! I'm back at school now, so it sucks that we didn't get to see each other over break...but believe me, I have my reasons for being such a hermit. Hope to talk to you soon.
1:48 AM
Regarding Debian installaton. I found that going into the BIOS and setting the SATA for compatibility mode let the installer see the hard disk. In my case, with a compact Dell box, the installer was only able to see the CD and not the hard disk.
On the other hand, I was able to install Fedora Core using the regular BIOS setting. Depending on what your goal is, you might consider that too.
7:56 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home