Romeo and Juliet: Applications of Linear Algebra and Differential Equations
Today, my professor for multivariable calculus and matrix/linear algebra told us about a paper by a man named Strogatz, which details Romeo and Juliet's love as a series of differential equations. He explained to us how the equations could be solved using linear algebra. I found it entertaining that one could explain mathematically at what times Romeo and Juliet would love each other, and how intense their love would be at any given time. He also got into adding another man into the triangle, in which case it is shown that Romeo and this man would eventually start hating each other, and Juliet would disappear from the equation.
I spent about 30 seconds attempting to find Strogatz's paper online, and I didn't find it, but I did find another paper based off of Strogatz's Romeo and Juliet one. It doesn't get into the matrix algebra, but it explains the differential equations in slightly more detail than my professor did. The sad part is, I understand it...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word of the Day: Oneiric
Article of the Day: Senate adopts 'exit strategy' from reality by Mark Steyn


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home