Random ramblings

2.22.2006

Display managers and multimedia stuff

I mentioned in a previous post that I was having problems with the Gnome Display Manager hanging at startup. It was not detecting my mouse, and then I was fiddling around with the xorgconfig settings and it stopped detecting my keyboard as well! I didn't really want GDM in the first place, but it was automatically installed as the desktop software during the Debian install.

I ended up re-installing Debian, and instead of installing the desktop packages from the install disk, I just installed the base system, and got KDE instead.

Now I am in the process of getting all the multimedia stuff working: speakers, TV card, etc. I wanted to be able to watch TV on my desktop in time for the Olympics, but have had no such luck. I am not sure I have the drivers for the TV tuner and such, even after installing the vdr (Video Disk Recorder) packages. It's looking like I'll have to recompile the kernel specifically to enable multimedia settings. If anyone knows of an easier way to get this stuff working, please let me know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word of the Day: Gaucherie
Article of the Day: Mustant Chicken Grows Alligatorlike Teeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home