Random ramblings

7.30.2006

Greg LeMond is a jerk

As many of you have probably heard, Floyd Landis, this year's winner of the Tour de France, has tested positive for having high testosterone levels. There are many explanations for why this could have happened, aside from Landis having taken anabolic steroids. I do not think that Landis did anything illegal, including doping, in order to achieve his victory, but Greg Lemond, 3-time Tour champion, disagrees:
In a veiled reference to seven-time winner Lance Armstrong, long dogged by doping allegations, LeMond added: "I hope that (Landis) won't do what another American did: Deny, deny, deny."
I believe Landis to be innocent of doping (he seems to be a man of integrity and unlikely to have used such means to win the Tour), and I believe Lance Armstrong also to be innocent. When a Tour athlete is accused of doping, these allegations continue to harm the althetes' reputations, whether they were determined to be innocent or not. Greg LeMond is aiding in tarnishing reputations that most likely deserve to be clean and clear. He is being very unfair to Armstrong and Landis, who have worked very hard to achieve what they have. He needs to deflate his head and admit to himself that he is not the only athlete of integrity (and who knows if he is? He rode in the Tour before there was drug testing. However, I will assume that he also won without using any extra "help"), and stop assuming that such accusations are true before they are proven.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word of the Day: Pugnacious
Article of the Day: Professionalization of war is ghettoization of war-Mark Steyn

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. LeMonde has been a real arse for years now. I will never buy any of his company's products because of his insistence on casting suspicion on other Americans when he has no more knowledge of their guilt than any of us. This is all self-promotion by LeMonde to try and remind people of his tour wins. How pathetic.

1:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home