Random ramblings

7.13.2006

The Colbert Report

The Colbert Report is a political comedy show on Comedy Central. Mr. Colbert used to poke fun at all sides of the politcal spectrum, yet one could still guess that he was a political conservative. Suddenly, Colbert started presenting himself as a hyperbolic, bigoted conservative.
Episode 112: On rising temperatures: "Relying on proxy evidence like tree rings, glaciers, and ice cores to study global warming, the National Academy of Sciences announced that the earth is the hottest it's been in the last 2000 years. All you need to know: We beat the record! Woo! In your face, previous periods of time!"

On gay marriage (Episode 109): "I don't see gay marriage as a slippery-slope down to people marrying snakes. I see people marrying snakes as a step 'up' the slope from gay marriage. I've got no problem with people marrying snakes-- as long as they're not marrying gay snakes. We must marry limbless reptiles of the opposite sex. Otherwise, it's just unnatural."
Through this theatrical performance, he demeans the conservatives and enforces the liberals' stereotypical views of how conservatives think. It's a paradoxical way of supporting the liberal cause. At the same time, Colbert's diction has degraded frequently into billingsgate, which is unacceptable. I am dissapointed in Stephen Colbert, because it is as if he has given into the pressures of liberal friends who make him feel ridiculous for having conservative viewpoints (although who knows what the real cause for this change is).

Mr. Colbert, we do not need another Daily Show. I suggest you get your act together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word of the Day: Hortatory
Article of the Day: Teen cancer patient battles to choose own treatment

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home