Ubuntuuuu!
Ok, so yesterday I switched over to Ubuntu. I love it so far! Sound and hotplug work without me having to do anything to set them up. I have had a few problems that have been fairly easily solved. First was the monitor. Every time I have done a Linux install, I have had the issue that only 640x480 resolution is allowed. I never remember how to fix it (it's a slightly different cause each time). This time, I had to comment out a line in the xorg.conf file, and add the vertical and horizonal sync rates, which for some reason, weren't automatically configured.
When I first started out, I could access the package repositories in order to update/install packages, but couldn't browse the internet or connect to instant messaging. It turns out I had to disable IPv6, which meant adding a line to a couple of config files. No big deal.
Then, I could only connect to AIM (not Yahoo, MSN, or Google messengers)... kind of. I could browse the internet. But this morning, I couldn't update packages. It looks like there's some sort of DNS problem, but that seems to have been solved by removing a line (the router IP) from yet another config file.
Now, there are a few other things to test, but the most important parts are working. I need to get used to the gdm (Gnome Display Manager), since I've been using KDE until now. Gnome seems to be cleaner looking/better streamlined, so I figure I'll give it a go, even though the layout's not what I'm used to.
I have decided that going the hard way in order to learn more isn't necessarily the best way. Admittedly, I do have a better idea of how things work after having used Debian, but there were enough problems that were way beyond my skill level to configure and get working properly (at least this last time; I had it working fine in the past...).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word of the Day: Nescience


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home