Thinking about switching...
I'm thinking about switching opreating systems on my desktop. I am currently running Debian. I have used Debian on previous desktops with reasonable success, but for some reason I'm having an extremely difficult time with it on my HP Pavilion 3800+. At first, I was trying to install the 64-bit OS version, but there were problems with the module needed to detect the hard drive... one can't exactly install if the hard drive doesn't seem to exist! Since I finally got it working (don't ask me how, I never figured out why it actually started working), I have been having trouble with hotplug (being able to plug in a device and immediately start using it) and audio. Also (probably because I'm using a combination of testing and unstable packages), just about every time I upgrade packages, enough things break that I can't effectively use my computer until several updates later.
Because of all of this, I have pretty much decided that I am going to switch to Ubuntu, a Debian-based Linux distribution. I don't really want to move completely away from Debian, since I have liked what I have seen of it so far (except for these recent difficulties), especially the apt system. If Ubuntu works as it claims, my frustrations will be solved. It's worth a try anyway, I'll keep updating on how things go.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Word of the Day: Imbroglio


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home