Does the internet change how we think?
I find this article interesting. It discusses the possibility that the way the internet presents information results in a re-wiring of the brain, and a change in the way we think. I am not sure this is the case, although I do agree that it may result in short attention spans. One thing I find fault with is the following:
A fundamentally scientific enterprise, Google is motivated by a desire to use technology, in Eric Schmidt’s words, “to solve problems that have never been solved before,” and artificial intelligence is the hardest problem out there.Still, their easy assumption that we’d all “be better off” if our brains were supplemented, or even replaced, by an artificial intelligence is unsettling. It suggests a belief that intelligence is the output of a mechanical process, a series of discrete steps that can be isolated, measured, and optimized. In Google’s world, the world we enter when we go online, there’s little place for the fuzziness of contemplation. Ambiguity is not an opening for insight but a bug to be fixed. The human brain is just an outdated computer that needs a faster processor and a bigger hard drive.
I think that this demonstrates that the author does not really understand what AI is. In the case of Google, AI algorithms would make searches faster, more efficient, and more relevant. I'm sure Google's creators aren't planning on trying to replace humans, or destroy human thought. It is naive to think that AI could eliminate ambiguity. For almost all applications, AI should not try to replace humans, it should only help them with tasks and jobs. Of course, the point is made that maybe even aiding humans in this way might not be such a good thing. I think, as with all technology, there are pros and cons. However, I am sure that out own intelligence will not "flatten into" artificial intelligence.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home